Enterprises are increasingly implementing a hybrid cloud strategy that encompasses public and private clouds as well as existing virtualized environments, according to the 2015 State of the Cloud Survey conducted by RightScale ...
The IT world is rapidly evolving. Companies should review and evaluate 2012 challenges so they can be planned for and managed in 2013. Here are 10 tips for IT strategic planning 2013:
1. Don't underestimate the information your consumers are willing to share with you. Big Data starts under your own roof. Consider all the different data elements you could be collecting.
2. Don't get caught up with nomenclature and buzz words - users/consumers/IT/ITSM/DevOps. The desire to use the "correct" wording, doesn't translate to consumers whose attention span has dramatically decreased.
3. Build time into all schedules for slack and innovation. Add a corporate slack rate of 10 percent into every schedule to allow employees to think about what they are doing.
4. Simplify your situations and projects.
5. Don't forget that saving money is usually a signal for time mis-management, not systems failures or enhancements.
6. Encourage your employees to sign the email charter: www.emailcharter.org
7. Get involved in your organization's external social media. It is IT's role to understand these systems and help your consumers and peers navigate this alternate world.
8. Be kind to your IT team - they are bombarded with FUD from the marketplace about the changing economy, workforce and IT. Make each person feel safe and important.
9. Imagine information systems that don't have form-based workflow. Imagine how you would interact in a mobile only world.
10. Hire the best and trust them.
ABOUT Chris Dancy
Chris Dancy is Director, Office of the CTO at BMC Software. He has been working in IT support for 20 years with experiences ranging from help desk level 1, service desk manager, ITSM process consultant, software product manager, executive corporate marketing, and entrepreneur. Most people know Chris as @servicesphere on twitter and as the host of the US edition of ITSM weekly, the podcast, syndicated to 30,000 listeners monthly. His name and avatar are synonymous with social media for IT, edutainment and his futuristic visions for IT.